Although people often think of boardrooms, suits, and million dollar deals when they hear the word “negotiation,” the truth is that we negotiate all the time. For example, have you ever:
• Decided where to eat with a group of friends?
• Decided on chore assignments with your family?
• Asked your boss for a raise?
These are all situations that involve negotiating! This book will give you an understanding of the phases of negotiation, tools to use during a negotiation, and ways to build win-win solutions for all those involved. Topics include:
• Understanding Negotiation
• Getting Prepared
• Laying the Groundwork
• Phase One — Exchanging Information
• Phase Two — Bargaining
• About Mutual Gain
• Phase Three — Closing
• Dealing with Difficult Issues
• Negotiating Outside the Boardroom
• Negotiating on Behalf of Someone Else