What is Change Management? How can your organization develop exceptional strategies and effective Action Plans? Do you have a Change Management Plan for your key Change Initiatives? What are the Benefits of Change Management?
Every change begins with a leadership decision. Making the decision to institute changes is not always easy. Being prepared, planning well, and being surrounded by an empowered team are keys to the success of the decision.
Change Management is a structured approach using a process and tools to move from the current state to the desired outcome. Although business industries, culture, lifestyle, technology and tools are continuously changing, Change Management follows a consistent process for successful acceptance of the change. This process includes:
- Decide – The decision is the outcome of business, market place, infrastructure, cultural, technology, and/or other drivers creating a strong case for making a change.
- Assess – Assessing the reason for the change, and identifying the stakeholders impacted and the sponsors answers “Why change?”.
- Plan – Now the sponsors work with the core change team to build the structure including
- Assessing the impact on all stakeholders
- Building communicating plans
- Identifying the current state and future desired state to understand gaps in knowledge, skills, and processes to be addressed
- Developing training plans to prepare individual stakeholders with necessary skills, processes and knowledge required to move to the desired state.
- Developing process and/or organizational plans to support the change.
- Implement and Manage – After the planning process, the focus is on implementing and managing the communication and training plans and executing the change plans until the change is fully integrated into the culture or organization. All changes must be achievable to be sustainable.
- Reinforce – To sustain the change over time, reinforcement is necessary through measuring performance, providing support where needed, recognizing and addressing resistance to change, transitioning to day-to-day operations, and celebrating success.
Common Reactions to Change
Change in software, tools, processes, people, location, organizational structure, culture, infrastructure, and/or changes resulting from mergers and acquisitions typically evoke these reactions:
- Denial: Some people may feel that the change is not necessary or will go away.
- Resistance: With any change, there will always be people who resist the change. Resistance is very common and stems from a fear of the unknown or losing control of their “world.”
- Anger: When change occurs and the norm is uprooted, people can experience anger.
- Indifference: People just may not care, or the change may not have an impact on their routines or work.
- Acceptance: Changes generally occur for the better and have a positive influence on those involved. An effective change management strategy works with all stakeholders to help them accept and embrace the change.
Tools to Help the Change Process
The Rothschild Corporation can help your organization with these tools necessary for an effective change process.
- Communication: Keep the lines of communication open before, during and after the change.
- Education: Educate all parties on the reasons for the change, and the expected outcomes.
- Training: Make sure all parties are trained and ready with any and all material required for the change.
- Flexibility: Be flexible and ready to modify the current plan to account for any unforeseen events.
- Affected Parties: It is especially important to include the individuals that are involved in the change participate in the change process.
Effective communications are essential for building support throughout the organization. For change to be successful, people must desire to support and participate in the change. Showing everyone what is in it for them will produce a great starting point and help generate support. The key to effective communications includes:
- Executive sponsorship
- Coaching by managers and supervisors
- Ready access to business information
Business Readiness Consulting
The Rothschild Corporation can help your business be ready for change. We can
- Develop/document methods and processes (M&P’s) with your team.
- Develop Communication Plans for business needs.
- Assess, interpret, and analyze customer needs and requirements.
- Work with minimal guidance; seek guidance on only the most complex tasks.
- Translate concepts into practice.
- Act as a resource for others with less experience.
- Lead and train a team of consultants.
- Quickly learn and train others in new skill sets/applications.
The Rothschild Corporation can assist
The merger process can be traumatic for owners and employees.
- Examine your motives.
- Prepare your employees for change.
- Set common goals.
- Define new roles.
Let Rothschild Corp. facilitate your change management planning and successful implementation. We can help you grow.